Ethylene glycol is a toxic, odourless, and colourless organic liquid that is used in the manufacturing of several compounds and substances. Ethylene glycol may be found in several products such as, but not limited to:
All animals are susceptible to ethylene glycol toxicity; but it is the most commonly seen in cats and dogs. The most common source of toxicity is often via the accidental ingestion of antifreeze. Most animal poisonings occur because of the sweet taste of ethylene glycol and the small minimum lethal dose required to cause damage to the organs. Examples of how small a volume of 95% ethylene glycol is required to induce signs of toxicity:
*Younger animals may be more susceptible
The severity of intoxication is related to the time interval since the ingestion, and the volume (dose) of ethylene glycol ingestion.
Phone us immediately at (06) 358 8675 to arrange for your pet to be checked over urgently. If available, please bring along the product you think your pet may have been in contact with.
The above information is provided for educational purposes only and not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional veterinary medical advice, diagnosis or treatment; and should not be relied on solely as veterinary advice. For more information or if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call us on 063588675.